A healthy smile comes from healthy teeth and gums. Periodontal Therapy is the branch of dentistry that encompasses the care and treatment of the supporting structures of the teeth.This includes the gingival (gum) tissues and the bone surrounding the teeth. A collaborative approach to providing periodontal care is utilized involving the patient, the dental hygienist, the dentist and a Periodontist (gum specialist) if indicated.
Our most common Preventive and Periodontal Dentistry Procedures are:
- Scaling - therapy to remove plaque, stain, and calculus (tartar) from tooth surfaces that are below the gumline.
- Root Planing - therapy to debride and smooth the root surfaces of teeth exposed by advancing periodontal diease.
- Oral Hygiene Instruction - individualized instruction in the use of periodontal aides and medicaments to help in the treatment of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Site-Specific Antibiotic Therapy - therapy to treat isolated periodontal infections at their source.
- Corrective Periodontal Surgery - surgical correction of existing defects to facilitate easier maintenence of the peiodontal (gum) tissues. This procedure usually involves collaberation with the Periodontist. Barrington Dental Care™ performs the following procedures:
Other Important Topics in Periodontal Therapy
- What is Periodontal Disease?
- Post Care Home Treatment following Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing
- Periodontal Maintenance