PERIODONTAL DENTISTRY - Post Care Home Treatment following Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing
- Before your procedure,, you were given an anesthetic to ensure your comfort. This anesthetic typically leaves your lips, teeth and tongue feeling numb after the appointment. For this reason, you should avoid any chewing for two hours following surgery, or until the numbness has worn off completely.
- Apply an ice pack-20 minutes on, 20 minutes off- for 4 hours following surgery to decrease pain and swelling.
- Keep your fingers and tongue away from the parts of your gums that were affected by the procedure.
- Do not rinse your mouth the day of the procedure. Twenty-four hours after the procedure, you can rinse gently with mouthwash or a warm saltwater solution: dissolve one teaspoon of salt in one cup of warm water, and gently swish, then carefully spit. Three times per day is sufficient.
- It’s normal to experience some discomfort for a few days following the procedure. To avoid nausea, don’t take pain medication on an empty stomach.
- If antibiotics were prescribed, continue to take them for the indicated length of time, even if all symptoms and signs of infection are gone.
- Relax as much as possible and avoid all strenuous activities for the first 24 hours following the procedure.
- Once the numbness has worn off, you should eat. Nourishment is important to the healing process. Limit your diet to soft foods like yogurt, soft soups, ice cream, or soft –cooked eggs for the first 48 hours.
- Drink at least 8 large glasses of water or fruit juice each day.
- Call our office if bleeding occurs.
- Continue cleaning the other areas of your mouth, flossing daily and brushing at least twice a day as you would normally.
Back to Periodontal Dentistry
Make an Appointment Today to speak with Our Cosmetic Dentists